Redecorating our house

At the start of June this year I moved in with my boyfriend Matt, He's lived in the house for around two years and hadn't got round to decorating due to a busy work schedule, originally he wanted to pay someone to decorate the house but I somehow persuaded him to let me do it instead because I love painting and decorating. We decided I'd decorate the living room and hallway at first but I've managed to persuade him to let me retile the bathroom and decorate it even though I've never done it in my life good job we have Youtube for some helpful videos! I'll also be decorating the bedroom and the room we like to call the nerd room but it's basically just an office and where I take pictures for my Instagram, the only problem with decorating the nerd room and bedroom is that both rooms have a lot of built in storage which makes it difficult to actually decorate. The nerd room won't be too hard to decorate as its one wall of wardrobes so it still gives me space to decorate on two other big walls, although the bedroom is basically all storage and if it's not storage it's mirrors.
I thought I'd turn this into a series and show you the house as we decorate it. I'll also do some posts on brands that I've purchased accessories on and posts with some tips on how to save money when you decorate, and tips on decorating in general.

I've already started the living room and the hallway but I didn't take any pictures but as it was a recent purchase there was still a couple of picture on rightmove so I'm just going to upload them as nothing changed apart from some furniture. As you'll be able to see from the picture the decor is extremely dated which makes the living room look extremely small so it was definitely in need of an update.


This is the living room before we started decorating
We knew from the start that the colour scheme would be grey but we took a while to decide on colours to go with it. In the end we went with grey, yellow and navy blue. The plan in the living room was to paint one wall a darker grey so it would be a feature wall, this took some persuading as Matt didn't want a feature wall but in the end he let me do it and now he loves it. We have a little arched alcove on one side of the feature wall which I knew would look lovely if we put up some shelves with some pictures and plants on.
All the items on the shelves including the prints are from Ikea
 apart from the alpaca picture
I wanted to do white shelves as we already had a white fireplace and a white tv stand but my boyfriend really wanted to do dark and because he'd let me do the feature wall and pick the colour theme I compromised on the shelves. In the end the shelves have turned out really nice being dark as I picked white accessories which stand out a lot more on the dark shelves. I wanted the shelves to be the first thing you see when you walk into the living room and I wanted them to be bright and bold. I bought a lot of the stuff on the shelves from Ikea, I bought white plant pots and white picture frames so they would contrast with the dark grey paint and stand out.
 I found it difficult to find cushions and throws that I really likes and that I thought would last a while without having to change them up. I ended up finding them in sainsburys while I was doing a food shop. The sofa's we have are a dark grey so I wanted to find accessories that are bright and add some colour to the room, the cushions we found are in two different styles, one set of cushions are grey with a white print on and a yellow edge. The white brightens the sofa up and putting them at an angle with the other cushions makes the sofa look longer which also helps to make the room itself bigger. The second set of cushions we got are smaller than the first set but are block patches of yellow, blue and white.
Although most of the living room has been done I've still got a lot of ideas of things I want to do to make it look better. We still need to change the carpet, find a rug to go with the room, find a lamp and a new light fitting and either put the tv on the wall above the fireplace or get a new mirror. If we decide to put the tv on the wall I want to put shelves up where the tv was to match the other side of the wall. I also want to get some silver candle lanterns for the fireplace to decorate it and maybe a buda for the cube that the tv is currently on.



Once the living room is complete I'll write an update, I'll also write another post giving you more details on the accessories I've purchased for the living room. Let me know if you have any tips for decorating or any questions!

My Links:
Instagram@styled_by_rosiep



Comments